Monday, December 21, 2009

Our Bay is Frozen. Can we go skating?

Our bay on Lake of Bays froze over more than a week ago. Since then we have had a big snowstorm and then some freezing cold temps. I thought I would check it out to see if it was ready for skating?

>>> Not quite yet! I went out about 20 feet and stopped. No cracks or loud breaking sounds. Dry boots. But I didn't want to get wet even though its only about 2 feet of water there. I used the ice chisel (ice banger for the ice fishermen) to make a hole. It was just 2 inches thick. NOT SAFE!

You need at least 4 inches to walk on ice and 6 inches before you can ride a snowmobile on it

We have some cold nights ahead of us. I'll check again later in the week.

Beauview Cottage Resort, Huntsville, Ontario, Canada http://www.beauview.com 800-363-6047

No comments: